Thursday, November 5, 2009

Assignment #4:Community


In society there are groups which are partially or completely mediated by the internet. One such group that I am an active participant is Facebook. According to Wikipedia; "Facebook is a global social networking website that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc. Users can add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves" Facebook has reached an all time high of over 300 million active users.

I have been a Facebook user for about three years. My experience started with my girlfriend wanting me to make a page and what not so she can comment on my wall and upload pictures of us. Since then my Facebook usage has greatly increased. Facebook offers a large variety of internet communication technologies. Facebook itself has evolved since its creation. It allows users to join networks organized by city, workplace, school, and region. In the beginning it was strictly for college students only, now anyone can create an account. Facebook offers many services such as IM, uploading of pictures with commenting abilities, wall posts, and note capabilities where you can blog. Aside from these Facebook even has applications for entertaining purposes, and now even allows users to access the site through their mobile devices.

Over the years my Facebook engagement has increased and using of all the different services began. As of now I use Facebook at least once a day if I have a computer with internet access. I use it mostly to stay in contact with friends and family, and to play the occasional game through the application programs. On a daily basis I write on my friend's and families' walls and check out their statuses. Just recently a lot of my family started using Facebook to stay in contact with each other; especially my family that live out of state from me. With Facebook I am able to look at the photos of all my family as they grow up. Sometimes I use the IM capabilities and chat with my Aunt just to catch up on things.

Facebook itself allows the development of social ties and other relationships within the group of users. At this point virtually anyone with a computer and internet access can contact someone else through Facebook. All of the different features it offers allows such development of these social ties. I use Facebook strictly to stay in contact with people I know offline. For me Facebook is just another way of communication where I can stay in contact with people I already know. A lot of media presents the negative issues of Facebook with online predators and other harms to their users, but that is what privacy setting are for. I for one have my setting set so that only my friends can access my page and photos. With this I do not have to worry about people seeing personal information of me and my family.

Overall Facebook has brought many benefits to me as a user. Its internet communication technologies allow for me to stay in contact with my family and friends that I do not see on a daily basis. With Facebook applications I am also able to play games in my spare time amongst other forms of entertainment it provides.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

4 comments:

  1. I too have my facebook set to private. It's definitely a good idea like you said because of the online predators and other harms to facebook users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is private as well, to keep stalkers a way but mostly to protect myself from prying company eyes. Like an employer that wants to look up a pospective hire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY PAGE MUST BE PRIVATE! I just think it is important to consider the possiblities of people taking your information and pictures, or for those who are predators.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My page must be private I just think it is important to consider the possibilities of people taking your information and pictures or for those who are predators! Definitely want to avoid the trouble and keep my business to my self.

    ReplyDelete